Rubens Belfort Neto MD. PhD.
Prof Rubens Belfort Neto is the fourth generation of ophthalmologists at Clinica Belfort. After medical residence in Brazil he did his PhD at McGill University in Canada and trained in ocular oncology at Cleveland Clinic. Today he is the Director of the Ocular Oncology Center in São Paulo and an Affiliate professor of Ophthalmology at the Federal University of Ophthalmology. Prof Belfort Neto has 21 scientific papers published in international journals and more than 10 ophthalmology chapters in medical books including ocular emergencies, ocular tumors, ocular changes in systemic diseases, retina diseases, etc
Prof Belfort Neto has intense academic and philanthropic activities in ocular oncology and was the President of the Pan-American Ocular Oncology Society ultil 2018.
Dr Rubens Belfort Neto is the director of the Ocular Oncology service of the Ophthalmology Department at the Federal University of São Paulo.
Dr Belfort Neto got his medical degree from Santa Casa Medical School in São Paulo in 2002 and did his ophthalmology training at the Federal University of São Paulo between 2003 and 2006. He did was an Ocular Oncology fellow for one year and in 2007 started his PhD. He spent two years at McGill University in Montreal, Canada as an Ocular Pathology and Oncology fellow. Before going back to Brazil Dr Belfort spent time as a visiting fellow at Cole Eye, Cleveland Clinic, working with Dr Arun Singh.
In 2011 he got his PhD from Federal University of São Paulo and became the director of the Ocular Oncology service, the largest ocular cancer center in latin America.
Book chapters by Dr Rubens Belfort Neto:
- Eye exam – Livro: Guia de Clínica Médica. Autores: Drs. Antonio Carlos Lopes e Renato Delascio Lopes.
- Pink eye: differential diagnosis – Livro: Guia de Clínica Médica. Autores: Drs. Antonio Carlos Lopes e Renato Delascio Lopes.
- Ocular changes in systemic diseases – Livro: Guia de Clínica Médica. Autores: Drs. Antonio Carlos Lopes e Renato Delascio Lopes.
- Uveal Melanoma – Livro: MANUAL UNIFESP DE CONDUTAS EM OFTALMOLOGIA. Autores: Cecília Moeller.
- Intra ocular tumours – Livro: Oftalmogeriatria. Editores: Dra Marcela Cypel e Dr Rubens Belfort Jr. 2009
- Retinoblastoma – Livro: Oftalmopediatria. Editores: Dra Celia Nakanami e Dr Rubens Belfort Jr.
- Orbital tumours – Livro: Oftalmopediatria. Editores: Dra Celia Nakanami e Dr Rubens Belfort Jr.
- Retinoblastoma and retinal diseases- Livro: Tratado de Pediatria, Sociedade Brasileira de Pediatria. Editores: Fabio Ancona Lopez e Dioclécio Campos Jr. 2009
Titles and awards:
- PhD from the Federal University of São Paulo
- Board certification in Ophthalmology – Brazilian Association of Medicine / Conselho Brasileiro de Oftalmologia
- Member – International Society of Ocular Oncology
- Member – Biopsy – Burnier Ocular Pathology Society
- Associate Secretary-Portuguese Language Region, Pan-American Association of Ophthalmology (2015-2017)
- Director of the Ocular Oncology service at the Federal University of São Paulo – UNIFESP
- Chefe do serviço de oncologia ocular do Amazonas
- Oftalmologista formado pela Escola Paulista de Medicina, Universidade Federal de São Paulo – UNIFESP
- Fellow no setor de Oncologia Ocular, Departamento de Oftalmologia, UNIFESP
- Fellow no Departamento de Oftalmologia, McGill University, Canada: Patologia Ocular, Oncologia Ocular e Plástica Ocular
- Fellow em Oncologia Ocular – Cole Eye Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Ohio, EUA – Setor de Oncologia Ocular
- Visiting Fellow em Oncologia Ocular – MD Anderson Cancer Center, Texas, EUA – Departamento de Oftalmologia